Monday, April 21, 2008

The Egyptian Connection


Well March went the way of February and April is going the same way! What happened to them?
Time just seems to be slipping away from me at the moment. The fact that my Muse has gone on an extended holiday doesn't help matters but, I keep hoping she will come back soon.

March was definitely an Egyptian month for me. I love Ancient Egypt so was happy to play with this theme.

The first piece is and arch that I made for Mags on Textile Challenges. It is approx. 8ins high.
I used the last of my rust dyed fabrics (funny but when I did that fabric I thought it would sit in the drawer unused for ever! Now I need more.) for the background and used satins and silks for the Blue Lotus flower.
This is the flower that the ancient Egyptians revered and used in many decorations especially the tops of the columns they made.
I did some free motion embroidery on the background and then rubbed it with various brown ink pads to give it a shabby look. Last I added little beads to the flower.

The theme on Unlimited Textiles was Egypt too.
The first piece is an art doll for Patsy.

I printed an image of Hathor onto voile and quilted it with 2 layers of batting and used some cotton on the back.
I rubbed the piece with brown inks and sprayed it with walnut ink.
Beads were added for embellishment.

I don't know if ancient Egyptian children had cloth dolls they have not survived the passage of time.
But if one were to be found I hope it would look something like this.



This last piece is a 5ins. mini quilt for SuZ

I was lucky enough to find the blue fabric with the stars on. It is an image found on the ceilings of many Egyptian tombs and made a great background.
The image was printed on cotton.
All were covered with a chiffon scarf and quilted and again rubbed with brown inks.
The backing is rust batik fabric.

The embellishment is made from friendly plastic and stamped with The Eye of Horus.
I love to add beads - have you noticed that?!

All in all it was great to walk like an Egyptian.

4 comments:

Julie said...

Maybe it's the time of year, Alis as I'm struggling too. I do like these Egyptian pieces, especially the quilt. Years ago I used to have a painting of the Eye of Horus over our bed.

Linda D. said...

Lovely work - these and the circus SBP. Adore the quiltie, never thought to use chiffon scarves, quite inspired!!! Know exactly what you mean about Time going too quick, sure it gets quicker the older I get, lol!!!

Digitalgran said...

My arch is fantastic and the photo doesn't do it justice believe me!
I love your Egyptian work, as you know I also love anything to do with Egypt.

bookwraps by suz.com said...

and I am the very proud recipient of your beautiful Egyptian quiltie !!! it's just perfect !!! thanks Alis !!!!
and the egyptian doll is AWESOME !!! how very clever of you...I may have to make one for myself..LOL..I knew I shoulda' joined in that swap too!!!!