Monday, March 31, 2008


At Alter-Native UK in March the Skinny Book Page theme was Circus.

I wanted to use some fabric that I had used before for a Circus theme.
It is bright and fun, but I didn't have quite enough for the 5" x 3" pages.

I printed some vintage circus pictures on to iron on cotton and fused them to the fabric and ran round the edge with a zig zag stitch.

As the pages are going to make a book of collages I decided to stitch my fabrics to some watercolour paper that I painted in bright colours.
This makes the pages sturdy and will fit in the books better I hope.

I always love the trapeze and would love to fly like that but how can I get over my fear of heights and climb the ladder!!
I'll probably just stay on the ground and marvel instead ;0)

Thursday, March 13, 2008

Holey ATC's

ATC's with holes in was the theme for a swap on AlterNative UK.

What a fun theme to work with.

I had lots of ideas but went with a geometric theme using photograph slides, various backgrounds and seed beads.
I threaded the seedbeads onto wire to suspend them across the holes.

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Vintage Arch

My partner for the arch swap on Textile Challenges this time was Patsy.
Patsy loves vintage and tea dye colours.

I used rust dyed fabric for the background and a printed chiffon scarf as an overlay.
I printed the image of the lovely lady onto silk, as I wanted a dreamy look to the piece, and stitched it on the arch.
It still needed something so a good root around in my stash drawer was rewarded with some lovely creamy antique lace.
I used a string of pearly beads to add a little more texture and some cotton rick rack braid for the edges.

This was one of those pieces that just flowed as it went along and practically built itself.
I am pleased to report that Patsy was very happy with it ;0)

Tuesday, March 11, 2008


Everybody needs a bit of passion in their lives don't you think.

The theme for February at Unlimited Textiles was "Passion" and these were my pieces for the swap.

Both the brooch and quiltie were made from the same fabric.
I used lots of layers of velvets, satin, brocade and organza's to create it and covered it in free motion machine embroidery.

On the quiltie (measures 5" square) I stitched a photo of a courting couple to the background and made a little heart to add as embellishment.
I highlighted some of the embroidery with seed beads and framed it all with velvet ribbon.

I cut the brooch heart out of the fabric, backed it with felt and zig zagged the edges.
I added the seed beads and a little bead tassel for embellishment.
There is a brooch back on the reverse so that June (my partner) can pin her heart to her sleeve ;0)