Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Art Nouveau


The theme for January's swap at Unlimited Textiles was Art Nouveau.
Well new year, new art.

I love this style. It flows and grows with spirals and curves and is just beautiful.
With my love of flowers it was certain what I would choose as my focus.

I had some lovely pieces of green silk that were too small to do much with but made great backgrounds for my flowers.
The flowers are organza. I cut out the shapes with a small point on my soldering iron.
I like to do this as the edges don't fray but I have to remember to wear a mask as the fumes are unpleasant.

I did a little detail with gold thread which quilted the items too.

The ATC's are zig zagged onto pelmet vilene and the quiltie (5" x 5") is backed with hand painted cotton.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

They are beautiful Alis,
Art Nouveau is a wonderful source for design, so many possibilities

Elizabeth Braun said...

Hiya! Fellow Brit-stitcher here!!

Nice work on the ATCs. I keep thinking about entering the Country Bumpkin/Inspirations competition for them, but I feel a bit 'original designed-out' at the mo!

Elisabeth, Leeds, (Euro Fibre Arts ring)

OMB said...

Thanks for stopping by.

I have enjoyed reading your blog.
Your work is beautiful.

Anonymous said...

gorgeous flower accents.

verobirdie said...

Very nice work!
Funny, I wake up this morning with the intention to cut some flowers from organza with the soldering iron. You confirm this is a good idea!

Linda D. said...

Beautiful work, Alis.

Anonymous said...

Fabulous flowers! I'll bet the "fumes" aren't pleasant! But the end result looks worth it!

Kim said...

Lovely work Alis.

Lin Moon said...

I just love your Art Nouveau flower. What is Unlimited Textiles? I saw a blog for it, but the last entry was from mid 2007. Is this a private group?
Just wondering....

Shantiearth said...

These are so lovely!