Monday, February 18, 2008

Seahorse Fantasy.

My partner on Textile Challenges in January was Lyn.
She expressed a preference for blues and greens and loves the ocean.
A woman after my own heart ;0)

I've been gathering things together on this theme for a while and not done anything with them so this was the ideal opportunity.

The background is hand painted cotton.
I used Dye-na-Flow paints. I love the way they dye the fabric without all the messing.
The seahorses are my own drawings that I printed to white, iron on cotton, I cut round the pictures and ironed them to the background.

I quilted round the seahorses and then added fibres by needle felting them down to represent seaweed.
Some shell pieces and little beads add embellishment.

The arch measures 8" x 4"

I had great fun making this piece and it has given me ideas for a bigger piece. Now I just have to get those ideas out of my head and on to fabric.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

this is lovely Alis,
Lyn will love it, it looks so rich the colours are glowing

Papoosue said...

Ooh, this is lovely Alis. I'm a big fan of anything to do with the sea, so it really appeals! You've been busy!

Thanks for your message Alis. I'm almost finished the poetry section now - really really hard, but wonderful at the same time !?

Anonymous said...

Alis this is awesome!

Carol said...

Oh how lovely, well done Alis, se will love it.

Angela said...

Beautiful Alis, I'm sure Lyn will love it!

These are the Stamps of Our Lives said...

WOW - this is a most gorgeous piece of work! Alis, you never cease to amaze me with your keen eye for colours and your lovely designs... It's always a please to take a peek at your creations!

Linda D. said...

Beautiful. Gorgeous work. Fantastic ideas. Love the way that you've combined the different techniques, they work very well. Love it :)

Jill said...

Oh just beautiful - every time I look at your work it inspires me to want to return full-time to textiles and learn more. I flit from one medium to another - you show so clearly how a love of and learning about and experimenting with a medium pays such fabulous dividends.
Lovely, lovely work :o)

Kim said...

Lovely piece Alis. Wonderful texture.

bookwraps by suz.com said...

WoW Alis !!!!

this piece is awesome !!! love it !!!!!!!

Digitalgran said...

I love those colours Alis and that little seahorse is beautiful. lyn will love it.