Monday, February 25, 2008

Through the Garden Gate


The last page for the swap on Fibre Art Friends is for Mags.
She asked for doors, windows and garden gates.
I chose garden gates.

The background fabrics are some lovely Japanese style fabrics that I thought were just perfect for this project.

I printed the photograph (of the rose garden where we spent our hols last year) on to iron on cotton and ironed to the background fabric.
This was layered on to cotton batting so I could get a quilted look.
I did a little machine embroidery around the photograph to soften the edges and pull your eye into the garden.

The gate worked out better than I hoped.
I drew the gate pattern onto water soluble fabric.
I wanted to do some free machine embroidery onto water soluble fabric but I had not done this before so, being a coward I put the water soluble fabric onto some black organza.

When the embroidery was finished and the soluble fabric washed away I burnt out the organza with a soldering iron.

I hand stitched the gate to the edge of the quilt so it would open and you can walk into the garden.

I hope Mags will like it. If not my Mum says she can send it back as she quite fancied it ;0)

16 comments:

Carol said...

Oh Alis this is so lovely. How clever, Mags will love it.

Vicki W said...

That is really cool! I love the gate.

Terri Stegmiller said...

Totally wonderful Alis!

Annica said...

Beautiful! Love the gate too!

Sandy said...

It's wonderful. Mags will love it, otherwise I want it. Sandy

Anonymous said...

Alis this is gorgeous! She is going to love it.

FARBTUPFER said...

I think she will love it!

Linda D. said...

Fantastic, beautiful piece. I'm very impressed!!!

Angela said...

What a great piece Alis, I love how you did the gate, very clever!

Unknown said...

absolutely beautiful, Mags will love it.

Papoosue said...

Absolutely GORGEOUS!

Digitalgran said...

Mags is over the moon with it. It is absolutely wonderful. You have to really see this one to believe it. Did you happen to know I also just love wrought iron?
Thank you so much Alis and also for the lovely birthday card that arrived with it. I will try and blog about them tonight, if my Internet Connection allows it. It has been letting me down the last few days.

Kim said...

It's lovely Alis. I like the 'greenery' that frames the garden and the wrought iron gate is just perfect.

Micki said...

What a lovely piece. Love how you did the gate.

Sara lechner said...

what a wonderful gate! I love that it can be opened!

Winter Wanderings said...

Alis,
This piece is just phenomenal! It's giving me ideas for our gluegun challenge too.
I know Mags loves this, but so do I!
truly, Cathy Winter