Tuesday, May 15, 2007
The Monthly Challenge on Fibre Art Friends this month was to "rust dye" some fabric.
I had never even thought of doing this before so was eager to have a go.
I searched and searched for anything rusty in the house but having just moved and had thrown away anything old and rusting. I was coming up against a brick wall.
Undeterred I sent Roger and Fred out on the streets in search of useful items.
They were not amused and returned home with one rusty bolt. I ask you, do you think they took this seriously? I don't think so.
Francoise mentioned that she had used a steel wool pad to dye her fabric, so a hunt under the sink was instigated. Mitzi thought that was great fun! I also found a rusty lantern - why was that there?! This is a mad house.
Anyhow, I wet all the fabrics and added some vinegar to the water - well everyone else was doing it! - and made sure all the fabrics were touching some sort of metal and wrapped it all in a plastic bag. The old bolt went in too. I left everything to cook for 48 hours.
When I lifted the experiment out of the bag it felt horrible. The steel wool had broken up and was everywhere. I didn't know if I would ruin it all but, it went straight in a bowl of soapy water.
I thought all the rust would wash out but no there it was in all its glory.
The pictures you see are the washed and ironed fabrics.
The first one was closest to the steel wool.
The second and third are print fabrics. The blue one is OK and I will probably use it in a quiltie but the other is horrible. It just looks like a filthy bit of cloth.
The last two are my favourites. The plain calico was furthest away from the steel wool and I like the effect it made -not too rusty.
The last one is a piece of calico that I printed with leaves and acrylic paint some time ago. This piece was wrapped in the rusty lantern and I love the lines it has made on the fabric.
All in all great fun - my household agreed on that!