Thursday, June 15, 2006

Textiles


Years ago I started City and Guilds Embroidery. At the same time though, I didn't know it, I started with Rheumatoid Arthritis. Great year 'coz that was the year I fell down the cellar stairs at work and caused the damage to my back that changed my life.
Needless to say I didn't finish my City and Guilds Embroidery.

Done lots of wonderful things since and been a member of some fantastic Internet groups. Decos being one of my main activities for a good while.
Through all of it though I had the teddy bears and Isaiah Bears. I loved my bears, I love the creation of them and their little faces smiling at me. Yes like me all my bears had smiles!
Well since I had to stop making them due to pain in my hands I have thrown myself wholeheartedly into paper arts.
Well I say wholeheartedly but there has always been something missing.
I have learnt so much and loved every minute but there has always been that nag, nag that something was missing.

After going to Jan's in March and seeing her wonderful work the nag became bigger.
Now, you have probably realised I'm not always the brightest spark especially when it comes down to myself but it was only a couple of weeks ago that it hit home that it was fabric and textiles that were missing!! Duh.

So what to do about that.
I've experimented on my own trying to combine paper and textiles but I just need a guide to point me in the right direction again.
I didn't want to do the City and Guilds course, I don't think I have the staying power. I had a good search round the internet and found a great site in the USA called Joggles and low and behold they run internet courses.
Yippee!!
I signed up for a couple of courses with Sue Bleiweiss and I am having a wonderful time making silk paper and handbags.

I feel I have turned a corner and have started on another roller coaster ride. I am the luckiest person ever, each time I get off one roller coaster there is another waiting for me. Long may that continue.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Alis ! I just found your blog through your link on your signature. Welcome to blogland ! I look forward to reading about your adventures in paper and fiber.

Emmy said...

Hello Alis
Love this bag and if you are interested in a course online I found one the net http://www.workshopontheweb.com
Regards Emmy